In a perfect world, you’d have plenty of time to prepare for a stress free move. Unfortunately, life happens and your circumstances may force you to move quickly. Whether you’ve haven’t had a lot of lead time or you’ve procrastinated a bit too much, these tips will help you navigate moving in a hurry, given a tight deadline.
What steps should I take if I have to move quickly?
- Figure out the logistics. Like any project, start by getting yourself organized. Trying to jump in without a clear plan can be overwhelming. Creating a clear action plan will serve as a baseline to guide you through the process, and ensure you’re using your time efficiently. Make a checklist of all the things that need to get done, and prioritize them by level of importance, and time necessary to complete. We suggest hiring a moving company or renting a truck as your first step. To avoid time researching moving companies on your own, reach out to friends and family for quick recommendations. Once you get that timeline figured out, you can move on to the rest of your tasks.
- Declutter. If you’re going to be moving quickly, the last thing you want is extra stuff to pack. If you’ve been looking for an excuse to declutter, now is your chance. The less stuff you have, the less stuff you’ll have to move. Separate any unwanted items into piles, and determine if you’d like to throw them away or donate them. The key here is to think practically, not emotionally. Realistically, do you need these items? Or are you just holding on to them out of necessity? To save you even more time, some charities offer pickup services. If you schedule a date for pick up, make sure everything is clearly organized and ready to go upon arrival.
- Set aside your moving essentials. Think of this like your carry on bag at the airport. There will be items you’ll need during the interim process, and you’ll want to keep them close by. This might include items like medications, documents, toiletries, changes of clothes, etc. This is particularly helpful for those who are moving quickly, as things are more prone to being displaced or lost.
- Pack smart. Unfortunately, quick moves don’t always allow enough time to pack the way you want to. So the trick here is to pack smarter, not harder. Instead of having a specific theme for each box, just pack things where you can and put notes inside the box on where to divvy it up later. If you’re short on packing materials, use softer items like towels or blankets to wrap or store items. As soon as a box is complete, tape it up and move it into a separate area, so you can compartmentalize which boxes are complete and incomplete. When it comes to clothes, consider leaving them on the hangers and folding them in half. Taking each item off a hanger and having to rehang it later is a huge time suck.
- Ask for help. This is not a one-man job! Ask your friends and family to come help, and make sure you have specific instructions on what things they can help you with before arrival. In addition, be sure to look at what tasks are covered by movers if you decide to go that route. Oftentimes this is overlooked, when the movers could’ve easily done these tasks for you.
Moving in a hurry and don’t have the time to go through the traditional selling process? Home Buyers Express can help! Whether you’re facing foreclosure, lack of equity, or simply don’t have the time to spend on the traditional selling process, Home Buyers Express can help. We aren’t listing your house and waiting for a buyer, we are the buyer, and we pay cash. With over twenty years of experience, we know how to streamline the process. Visit our how it works page for more info, and contact us today!